My New Favorite Mexican Restaurant


Adam's 35th birthday weekend has been pretty much revolved around food.

Last night I surprised him a dinner party and what may now be my favorite Mexican restaurant: Ladera Taverna y Cocina

He thought we were going on a date and I didn’t disclose the location until we arrived.  Since it was the first time trying this place and not having been to this area in Central Phoenix before, he really had no idea where we going. He just followed directions given to us by our unconditional and always reliable navigation system.

When we got to the parking lot, I noticed my sister in-law’s car and started panicking a little. I hadn’t thought that maybe he might recognize her car, so I immediately yelled “Park right here” so he would park on the opposite side. He probably thought I was a little crazy, but he didn’t see her car. Phew!

We walked to Ladera Taverna y Cocina and the first thing I liked about this place was their patio. It is a beautiful open space with a fireplace in the middle of the patio.  An ideal spot for cooler days!

When we walked to the host stand, I notice our friends and made our way to the table. Hubby was taken aback! He did not see this coming and he was so happy to see our friends. His childhood friend and best man at our wedding was there. They haven’t seen in each other since last Hanukkah and he recently got engaged, so it was extra special to see him and meet Future Mrs. R!

After greeting everyone, we sat down and by then the server had brought out a trio of salsas and chips. We had a tomatillo salsa, a house salsa (red) and chile de arbol salsa. They were amazing, one being mild and the other two a little spicier.

Their menu looks delicious and I think we all took a while deciding on what to get. I loved their appetizer selection. They have all kinds of yummy “street food”. Their appetizers include guacamole, elote (corn on the cob or shaved), sopes, quesadillas and ceviche. These are all items you would normally find at the market or on the street in Mexico City, items I miss dearly, so from time to time I make them at home. Hubby and I shared the elote and guacamole. Both did not disappoint! The guacamole was outstanding and the elote reminded me of being at brother’s wedding where toward the end of the party, they had food carts with Mexican “antojitos”. Delicious!

 Their taco offerings go from the usual tacos (steak, chicken, shrimp) to more classic Mexican tacos like cochinita pibil, nopalitos (cactus) and pastor. The main entree selection is what sold me on trying Ladera out. They have authentic Mexican entrees like Chile relleno (stuffed poblano peppers with zucchini and queso fresco) Chicken Mole, Barbacoa, Cochinita Pibil, etc. I mean REAL Mexican food!!

After salivating over the menu, I settled for tacos al pastor and hubby went for green chile pork. I had three really well portioned tacos with a side of hominy rice and a little salsa verde on the side. The pork was moist and really flavorful. The rice was a nice surprise! I had never tried hominy rice and I will now have to add this to my menu at home.

Hubby’s green chile pork was tender and not too spicy. It comes with a fried egg on top which adds another layer of flavor and almost a creamy consistency to the dish. I was able to try the Chicken Mole and it was right on point. It truly tasted like the Mole back home. Another friend order the fried quesadillas with a side of barbacoa and again, it was a great dish. Very soft, melt in your mouth braised beef.

After having feasted on what I would call hands down one of the best Authentic Mexican places in Phoenix, we couldn’t leave without trying dessert. Everyone’s excuse was, Hubby needed dessert for his birthday, so we ordered two Fried Helados: a giant scoop chocolate chip ice cream, breaded in corn flakes and fried. It comes over a buñuelo and a churro on the side. I know what you’re thinking: This is a fried trifecta!!  Yes! You need to try it. To be honest I would have ordered the churros, but the Fried Helado really worked and I would order it again.

Needless to say we had the best time with great friends.  The food was amazing and service was great. The girls and I are already thinking of coming for Taco Martes. On Tuesdays, Ladera has happy hour from 6pm to 10pm. The rest of the week their Happy hour is from 3pm to 6pm. If you go, order the Sangria J.

They also have brunch, on Sundays, which I can’t wait to try. Also, as a mom of two toddlers, I appreciate a menu with real wholesome food for kids and not Mac n Cheese. Their kid menu looks delicious; they have chicken and rice, quesadillas, and tacos. I know we will be bringing the kids for brunch real soon.

I didn’t take pictures of the food because the light wasn’t ideal for it and I felt I wouldn’t do the dishes justice with bad pictures. If you want to see mouthwatering dishes, checkout their Instagram page.
I hope you enjoy this place as much as we did!







Comments

Popular Posts