Fourth of July Artwork

We are getting close to Independence Day. I cannot wait to spend a long weekend with family and friends!

We've been making activities at home to celebrate this important date while having fun making some arts and crafts.

Last year we bought "The Story of America's Birthday" and we absolutely love it! It explains in a very easy way why we celebrate Independence Day. This book is now part of our bedtime story routine for this month.

I like to keep themed books in the bins where I keep holiday decorations. I have one bin for each holiday. This way, when 4th of July comes around, I pull my Independence Day bin and have all the decorations and books for the holiday.

I feel like we have a million children's books, so organizing them by theme has kept me sane and it helps us rotate books.


One of our favorite activities this weekend was making art with shaving cream. I got the idea from a blogger I've been following for the last couple of years, The Artful Parent. She has such great art projects. We've done so many of her projects throughout the years.

 Just a little warning, this is a messy craft but so worth it! Plus, every craft is messy, right? That's part of the fun!

All you need is:

-Shaving cream
-Food coloring
-Shallow container (s)
-Toothpicks
-Bench scrapper (a craft stick would work too)
-Cardstock paper (cut to fit your container)




We sprayed shaving cream into out shallow container and added a few drops of food coloring. We swirled the shaving cream with a toothpick.





 
Swirling shaving cream


 Once you've swirled to your liking, it's time to place the cardstock on top of it and press lightly.
 
 

Pressing gently to get shaving cream on card

 
 
Flip the paper and place on your table.
 
Ready to see how this card will turn out?
 
 
 
 With a bench scrapper or craft stick, gently scrape the excess shaving cream.




Scrapping excess shaving cream



Once your card has no more shaving cream, set out to dry.

 
Ready to dry
My daughter is all about helping these days. Every time I'm in the kitchen she asks what she can do to help me. I always try to give her something to do so she doesn't feel discouraged. No matter how small the task seems for me, she feels so proud of herself after she accomplished it. So, while I cleaned the table and little brother's hands, she helped me wash the supplies we used. By the time we were done cleaning, the cards were dry.

This activity kept us entertained for an hour or so and once the cards were dry, we personalized them.




We personalized one of the cards to send Abuela Sofia a birthday card.

The rest of the artwork will be part of our 4th of July decorations.

Fourth of July painting

 
Kids love how all the cards were unique!
 


Do you have any other fun art projects for Independence Day?










Comments

Popular Posts