Sopa de Fideo

My kids' all-time favorite soup is Sopa de Fideo. When we go to Mexico to visit family, the will literally, eat it every day! Like, as soon as we arrive, Abuela has a batch of Sopa de Fideo waiting for them along with other favorite foods. No matter if we at home or eat out, they will ask for this soup druing our trip to Mexico.


It shouldn't really surprise me since it was also my favorite soup when I was little. This was and still is one of my comfort foods. You may think we are crazy eating soup in a 100+ degree weather in Arziona but that's your us. Crazy!

This recipe is easy and I hope you and your family will enjoy as much as we do.

You can find the fideos the "Latin Foods" aisle and occasionally, I have found it in the pasta aisle. If you can't  find fideo you can substitute for any short pasta. My kids love Sopa de letras (alphabet soup), and we've also made Sopa de caracol (seashell soup). 



All these varieties of pasta are in the same section.



Yields: 6

Ingredients:

    2 Tbs. vegetable oil
    7 oz. vermicelli pasta (fideo)
    4 plum tomatoes
    1 large garlic clove (or 2 small)
    1/2 cup diced white onion
    8 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
    1 teaspoon Salt
    Black Pepper to taste

Cut tomatoes in quarters. Blend the tomatoes with the garlic and onion and set aside.
Preheat the oil to medium hot. Add the noodles and stir to coat with oil. Continue stirring until the noodles have started to brown slightly.


Strain the pureed tomatoes, onion and garlic into the noodles and cook for minutes.

The tomato puree will start to become a bit darker. When the tomato puree starts to bubble, add the chicken (or vegetable) stock.
Season and bring the soup to a boil.
Cover and reduce to low heat. Cook for 10 minutes.


Notes: If this were a soup for adults only, I would add a ¼ teaspoon of canned chipotle juice. It brings out a smoky flavor and add a mild spice.

I love to squeeze a little bit of lime juice and diced avocado, but this is a personal taste. My kids and hubby enjoy the soup as is. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts