Happy 35th Birthday Love!


Today is my Love's birthday! Oh, and also Bastille Day. Adam loves history, so I love the fact that he was born on a historic date is pretty cool!




He never really wants to do much on his birthday. He is a pretty relaxed guy and if it were up to him he would go on about his day without making so much fuss on his birthday. Now the kids, that's another story...They are so excited to celebrate his birthday! This year I asked him to take the day off so we could celebrate him all day. Of course we had to go to his favorite breakfast place this morning!


Birthdays have become a really big deal in our house. It may have to do with the fact that my daughter automatically assumes that if it's someone's birthday, that means there will be a party followed by cake and who doesn't like cake?!


This year the first thing she told me when I mentioned Daddy's birthday was coming up was "I want to make a cake for him". If you know me, you will agree that it's hard for me to say no to my kids, especially when it comes to making/ cooking/ creating anything.

We would have loved to surprise him with the cake, but he left work early yesterday... Ha!

So, while he was roasting coffee, the kids and I baked his cake. This Sprinkle cake is super easy, made with a few ingredients and it delicious. Best of all, it only takes 10 minutes to prepare, 20 minutes to bake and a few minutes to decorate. It is the perfect size for a family of four!  This is a great recipe to make with the kids. I love Deb's blog: Smitten Kitchen. Every recipe I've made from her blog has been amazing!


In my lack of planning and hubby coming home early, I forgot to double check if we had sprinkles 😢 We ended up using leftover sprinkles; shamrock clovers and gold sprinkles...



The cake batter takes about 10 minutes to make. then you fold the sprinkles by hand and place the batter in an 8X8 pan.


While the cake was in the oven, we whipped up the buttercream frosting: butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and cream. Easy peasy!

This is a very thin layer cake, so once baked and cooled, we cut it in half, to make it a two layer cake.


We spread the buttercream on the bottom layer and then added the second layer of cake and decorated it with the rest of the buttercream and sprinkles.



After going to breakfast, we took  a long drive to The Pork Shop to stock up on Adam's (and the whole family) favorite bacon. If you've been to Matt's and had the bacon, this is where they buy it from. If you haven't tried it, I can only day it's worth the drive to Queen Creek, AZ.



It was time to head home and eat some cake!

Happy 35th birthday love! May this weekend be full of fun memories.


The kids loved baking and decorating their Daddy's cake and it was their first time making a cake. Adam loved the though we put into making him a cake. I also learned my lesson: make sure to double check the ingredient list before heading out to the store.

We love you Daddy!







Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts